June 1, 2013
Bill Summary. The bill permits homeowners to pursue installation of electric vehicle charging stations.
Effective Date. May 3, 2013
Highlights of the bill.
- No association expense. Associations are not required to incur expenses for the installation or use of electric car charging stations.
- Association Policies or Rules. As part of its policies or rules, associations can:
- Require adherence to legitimate safety requirements
- Require registration of the charging station within 30 days of installation of the charging station
- Require compliance with the governing documents, reasonable aesthetic provisions regarding external appearance, placement, size and design specifications
- Require that the owner engage the services of a licensed and registered electrical contractor familiar with code and installation requirements for electric vehicle charging stations
- Require proof of insurance from owner or payment of increased association insurance premiums related to the addition of the charging station to common areas
- Require removal of the system if necessary to maintain the common elements
Policies or Rules Allowed [and recommended] to be Adopted by Associations. It is recommended that Associations that anticipate owner applications have a policy or rules in place before owners begin submitting requests for approval to install charging stations.